Would you like to make this site your homepage? It's fast and easy...
Yes, Please make this my home page!
Protection from a Vampire
Common means of securing safety from vampiric attack.
- Garlic: Most common protective herb, used on windows, doors, around neck, possibly under armpits; mixed with water it can be sprinkled or sprayed throughout an area.
- Holly: Placed around house.
- Fishnets: Placed on windows or doors or in graves to distract vampires who are obsessive about untangling objects.
- Seeds: Seeds such as mustard or poppy are sprinkled on yards or walkways.
- Grain: Oats, millets, and other grains are sprinkled on yards and walkways.
- Holy water: Vials can be thrown at vampires, poured into graves or coffins, or sprinkled on doors, windows, thresholds, and other areas.
- Juniper: Logs kept in house for their antievil powers.
- Bells: Constant rining will drive away the undead.
- Candles: An abundance of light deters vampires, especially if candles have been blessed.
- Incense: Incense of the Latin rite preferred over the Eastern variesties, but both are acceptable and offer powerful protection.
- Tar: Crosses are painted with tar on doors and windows.
- Knives: Stab the vampire in the heart; also useful against the mara.
- Mirrors: Placed on doors because they really annoy vampires when they cannot see their own reflection in them.
- Stakes or pins: Used to impale or pierce, but care must be taken to avoid spurting blood.
- Magic or witchcraft: Potent protections, but can be performed only by the trained.
- Appeasement with blood: Barely useful, but a method for stalling until help or dawn arrives.
- Crosses or crucifixes: The traditional method; the use of such sacramentals can hold vampires at bay or can render a gravesite useless to them.
- Icons: Particularlyeffective amoung Byzantine or Othodox vampires.
- Eating of blood bread: A method used in Poland.
- Burial of wine: A method used on Transylvania, not known in many other regions.
- Drinking blood brandy: A method used in Pomerania.
- Consecrated host: The sacramental is hard to come by and should be handled with care, lest sin of blasphemy cause user more problems than the visits of a vampire.
- Prayer: Always helpful.